Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Extended text conversation with two Biden volunteers

L: Hi Peter, I'm Lisa, a volunteer with the Democrats. Election day is less than 50 days away! We're counting on folks like you to step up and take action with us. Can you make calls to help us win big in November?

P: Not until the Democrats get behind Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, and return the fossil fuel subsidy ban to the platform and stand behind it. Oh, and ban fracking.

L: Got it. Respectfully, I believe it will take all of us working together to defeat Donald Trump and make progress towards affordable health care and college, clean energy, a strong middle class, and reforms to strengthen our democracy. Does that resonate with you?

P: No. I'm too familiar with Biden's record, and the DNC has demonstrated too many times that they work for the oligarchs - not the people. In 10 years climate change passes the point of no return. You are working for someone who refuses to even ban fracking. Maybe that's something you should think about.

L: May I ask who you are supporting?

P: I expect to vote for Howie Hawkins. Down-ballot I will only vote Green or other progressive third-party.

L: Got it. Thanks for sharing.

P: I have a son. The DNC, RNC, and the fossil fuel industry that they serve is stealing his future, and that of all the children of the world. How could any parent support that? Anyone with a conscience?

L: I have kids too. That is why I am focused on defeating Trump.

P: I understand. But I can't overlook what the Democrats are also doing - or rather, NOT doing - about the environment. By 2030 it will be too late to give our children a habitable planet. The increase in the Earth's temperature will kill billions of people. Civilization won't survive that. And in the face of all that, Joe Biden insists that he won't ban fracking and wants a middle way on climate. I know that Trump is much worse on climate, but extinct is extinct either way.

My son is a good boy. But NO child should have to face having no future. I can't accept the Democrats' refusal to take the necessary action on climate change. It's unforgivable.

They were supposed to be on our side - the side of the people. But they've been working for Wall Street and their big donors almost exclusively for decades, while we, the people, get nothing but lip service and kente cloths.

I come from a family of passionate lifelong Democrats. I took a degree in political science. I can't pretend that I don't see what has been happening. Unions betrayed. The 1994 crime bill, authored by Joe Biden, turned millions of black, brown, and poor Americans into slaves in all but name - working in privately-run for-profit prisons. The corporations that run those work camps - which is what they are, let's be honest - have donated generously to the Biden campaign. That's not the Democratic Party I supported. It is unimaginably cruel and inhumane.

I'm sorry to go on like this, but I care about this very intensely. The DNC has forced us to choose between two scenarios of extinction for our children. NO. I absolutely cannot accept that.

...how can you?

B: Hello Peter, This is Betsy another volunteer from the Democrats.  Thank you so much for being so passionate on these issues.  I am too.  I'm voting for Biden because it is critical for our country to get Trump out of office with a clear victory.  After that we can stay involved to make sure the Democrats do this important work.  If Trump wins we have no chance.

P: The DNC and the Clinton campaign promoted Trump as part of their "pied piper" campaign. Fear of Trump has been used as a weapon to terrorize Americans into voting for two terrible candidates. Bad as Trump is, I won't accept the argument that I should give up my principles to support a candidate who is as bad as Trump in many ways - if not worse, in some areas.

B: I understand.  I appreciate your passion.  Have a great day and stay safe.

P: The DNC presented America with an intolerable choice, twice. No offense, but doesn't that trouble you?

Take care.

1 comment:

  1. They do seem to operate from a series of scripts, but I'm sure they're not bots. I thought it was worthwhile to try to, if not disaffect them from working for Biden, at least question the rightness of what they were doing - plant some seeds of doubt, if possible.

    I WISH I could have heard what happened behind the scenes when Lisa switched with Betsy! By the way, the whole conversation started on Thursday the 17th and ended (so far, anyway) on Wednesday the 23rd. It surprised me that they kept coming back after long delays. Could the Biden campaign be getting really desperate? I mean, you'd think they could tell right away that there was no way in hell that I would vote for him.

    ReplyDelete